Barry Manilow has cancelled opening night of his new Broadway show “Manilow on Broadway,” along with three other performances due to a case of bronchitis.
Manilow began previews for the show on January 18, and opening night was scheduled for yesterday, January 24. He was forced to cancel two shows earlier in the week, but vowed to be ready for opening night “come hell or high water.” But per doctor’s orders, he was forced to cancel opening night and three other shows through Sunday.
“It turns out the only thing worse than hell and high water is bronchitis,” said Manilow’s official website regarding the new cancellations. “Barry is deeply sorry to disappoint his fans and is doing everything he can to ensure a speedy recovery.”
The website also revealed that the cancelled shows will be made up in February and March.
The show is held at the St. James Theatre, and was initially announced as a 17-show engagement, but was increased to 25 shows due to high demand.
“Manilow is returning to the place where it all began, his hometown, New York City, with a new concert series on Broadway — marking his return to The Great White Way for the first time in more than two decades,” producers said about the show when it was announced.
The 69-year-old singer last appeared on Broadway in his show “Barry Manilow at the Gershwin.” The production played 44 shows in 1989.
Recently, Manilow has been spending much of his time in Las Vegas. He headlined a residency at the Las Vegas Hilton from 2005 to 2009, performing hundreds of shows before ending the residency. He also began performing at the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas in 2010.
“Growing up in New York, Broadway has always held a special place in my heart and I am honored to have the opportunity to make the St. James Theatre my home in the New Year,” Manilow said in a statement last year.