Richard Bean’s “One Man, Two Guvnors” will head to Australia next year, it was announced recently.
The first stop on the tour will be presented by the Adelaide Festival beginning February 28, 2013 and running through March 9. After that, the production will make its home at the Sydney Theatre Company from March 30, 2013 to May 11, 2013.
The most recent announcement from the tour is that the production will run from May 17, 2013 to June 22, 2013 at the Arts Centre Melbourne, Playhouse. The run is made possible by a joint effort between the Arts Centre Melbourne and the Melbourne Theatre Company. Brett Sheehy, Artistic Director at the Melbourne Theatre Company, said the production’s trip to Australia has been a long time coming.
“I saw the production in its opening week at The National Theatre last year, and immediately wanted Melbourne to see it,” he said. “So I was thrilled when Arts Centre Melbourne approached us to partner with them, to make sure that could happen!”
The Chief Executive of the Arts Centre Melbourne, Judith Isherwood, also expressed excitement about the coming show.
“We have always said our ambition is to bring the best theatre in the world to our stages in Melbourne,” she said. “‘One Man, Two Guvnors” fits that bill. It’s a wonderful show and we’re thrilled to give local audiences a chance to see it. I love it and I know they will too.”
The successful British play, which is directed by the Nicholas Hytner, is an adaptation of the 1743 Italian play “Servant of Two Masters.” The production, which features music by Grant Olding, opened at The National Theatre in June 2011. Following a subsequent U.K. tour, the show transferred to West End, first at the Adelphi Theatre and then at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, where it continues to run.
The Broadway version of opened in April of this year, and was nominated for seven Tony Awards.